Two Hospitalized After Jumping to Escape Syracuse (NY) Apartment Fire

Rylee Kirk


Syracuse, N.Y. — Two people were hospitalized after jumping out of a window to escape a kitchen fire Monday morning, firefighters said.

The fire started around 4:42 a.m. at the Seneca Garden Apartments at 120 Riverdale Drive, according to the Onondaga County 911 Center.

When firefighters arrived, the two people had already jumped out the bedroom window, said District Chief Richard Buck.

The people had no way to get out because the kitchen was in flames, he said.

A person in a neighboring apartment was found asleep by firefighters, according to a news release from the Syracuse fire department.

One dog died in the fire, firefighters said. The fire was extinguished in 30 minutes, firefighters said.

Eight people lost their home in the fire, he said. The flames were kept in the kitchen but there is water damage to the entire building and the power has been shut off, he said.

Buck said he didn’t hear smoke detectors going off in the building while they were fighting the fire.

“Everyone should have working smoke detectors,” he said.

Staff writer Rylee Kirk covers breaking news, crime and public safety. Have a tip, story idea, photo, question or comment? Reach her at 315-396-5961, on Twitter @kirk_rylee, or

Please follow and like us: